Monday, December 2, 2013

Giant Bird Ancestor


As it turns out I am still a 9 year old kid.  I love dinosaurs and until today my favorite was the always classic Tyrannosaurus rex, mostly for its size and ferocity, but also because I am a bit afraid that if it is not my favorite one will spontaneously appear in my backyard and eat me.  Apparently I am a 9 year old boy in more ways than one.  I say “until today” because as of now, T. rex is no longer the king.  The recently discovered bones of Siats meekerorum dethroned T. rex due to the fact that it is, as one of my students put it, offensively large.  Preliminary estimates put this thing at about 4 tons and stretching to the length of a school bus.  Next time you have a chance, go stand next to a school bus and tell me that a walking, breathing, roaring creature of that stature wouldn’t make you want to curl up in a ball and call for your mommy.  You might notice that in the picture below the critter has feathers covering its body.  Since it was a theropod dinosaur, like modern birds, it most likely had feathers.  Personally I think the feathers make it slightly adorable.

Siats meekerorum.  Because I didn't have enough trouble sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment